Wednesday, March 26, 2008

those moments when the world is talking to you

I was talking to a friend the other day about how one of the best parts of camping is how somehow it makes you feel very strongly like the world is talking to you, and something monumental and natural always seems to happen, the times, albeit rare, that I find myself camping... once I went hiking/rock climbing and right around dusk we realized we forgot the headlamps/flashlights/ANY source of light, etc. and we were at that point on top of a mountain, the kind of mountain that doesn't have paths. It was terrifying and lovely and towards the end of my crab-style maneuvering towards the base we saw Aurora Boeralis or "Northern Lights" in the sky. They are very rare at the latitude we were at but they came through for us that night. It looked like a dance made of colorful waves of electricity playing between the sky and the ground. It was epic and magic and thank god I was out there and looking.

sometimes I feel totally lost and can't understand any thing in the world, or at least that's how I feel. And so I start to look for signs...

Here are some from today...
through the radio:
Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova's "Falling Slowly" from ONCE
Jeff Buckley's "Alleluia"

on a piece of scrap paper I found on the floor:
(handwritten)

It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.
Never stop dreaming.
There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.
When we love, we always strive to become better than we are.
When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.
Without love, dreams would have no meaning.
Love is the pure language of the world...A language without words…the one true language of the universe. It requires no explanation, just as the universe needs none as it travels through endless time.
Love is the force that transforms and improves the soul of the world.
The Alchemist

in the newspaper:
reading about the collapse of the 160-mile ice shelf in Antarctica-- breaking my heart
but seeing the picture of from the Red Sox's win against Oakland in JAPAN early yesterday morning-- making me feel elated (SPRING! BASEBALL! JAPAN!)

on the street near my house:
giant blooming roses in all the gardens

waves of joy, waves of grief, waves of fear, waves of peace

what is the world saying (to me) today?

No comments: